I realize this is a little early and that I've been doing a lot on Tildes lately, but I'm really into this idea and I know a lot of people will soon be busy with holiday plans (if they aren't already). As such, I figured it was better to go ahead and propose this now rather than wait:
What are challenge lists?
In reading circles, it's common for sites to put out yearly "challenge checklists". They are lists of different criteria with stuff like "Read a book published in the year you were born" or "Read a book with the name of a country in the title", and the idea is that you try to complete the list over the course of the year. Here are some examples from 2019:
I think it would be neat if Tildes came up with a gaming version of one of these challenge lists for 2020. Why?
- It's fun
- It's great for diving into your backlog (if you have one)
- It gives you incentive to play games you might otherwise overlook
- It's fulfilling to work towards a goal
- I haven't seen a gaming version of this idea before, so we could (maybe) be trailblazers!
- But mostly it's fun
I was originally considering coming up with my own individual list for myself, but I think it would be neat if we did a community version instead. As such,
- If you are interested in participating in a 2020 gaming challenge list, let me know in this thread.
- If you have ideas for criteria for the challenge list, also let me know in this thread.
- If you have any other thoughts on this setup, let me know.
This is a brainstorming thread, so feel free to submit any and all ideas you have. Throw everything at the wall. We'll see what sticks afterwards.
To be clear, the challenges are more about playing certain games than they are about completing specific tasks within games. So "play a game in which you can pet a dog" works, while "pet the dog in Zork II" does not.
After we finish brainstorming, I will compile all submitted criteria into a poll and we can vote on the ones we most like. Then, after voting, the top [number TBD] entries from the poll will become our challenge list for 2020.