Logged in for the first time in awhile. Update on my phone and other stuff
Man I haven't been on Tildes for a minute. How the heck is everyone?
I've been on a bit of a roller coaster since I posted about looking for a new phone and have been keeping busy.
Just right now I really should be:
- Editing a book my dad wrote about our ancestors in the US - think Little House on the Prairie. It's going to be a surprise gift for his 90th. I'm having it printed all nice and whatnot.
- I need to contact the free lancer I work with in India to help me put together new online courses for the website I run as a side hustle. Hoping for a break out cycle next time and have it become something that might replace my primary income in the next 4-5 years. It's paying off but the work can be super boring.
- I have a lawn care landscaping guy coming over today to see about putting a french drain in around the basement foundation to get some water away. I am working from home full time now so I want to make the basement nicer (where I work from). Basically it's going to still look like a basement, just nicer. Going to epoxy the floor and put up that commercial type baseboard, fresh white paint on the walls and ceiling, then new lights. Then I'll add storage for things we don't use everyday. Should be cool but a ton of work.
Other stuff that's happened since I last talked to you all:
- I need to get passport photos for the family for a cruise in Nov that we probably will end up canceling unless the kids can get vaccinated by then. Bought it cheap at the height of the pandemic.
- Just yesterday I was at Costco and do you ever get annoyed by the check they do before you leave? Like normally its cursory but this time they really went through everything and it was this much older guy with a lot of Veteran-wear and he like really went out of his way to touch each item in our cart multiple times. I literally said "Are you going to touch everything?" But I don't think he heard me. I guess the issue was we had what looked like 11 items and only 10 on the receipt but one thing was a two-pack of shirts. We also weren't dressed particularity well and probably smelled like weed so there's that too. But no fun for sure.
- I took up stock trading during the March lows and lost about $8K then after a lot of work and mostly luck made that back plus $2k. Then I took a break for a while because it was hella stressful. Then I got in on gme early in my retirement account. So now I don't have to worry about retirement so much. Really mind blowing. I'm going to a financial advisor soon.
- I kind of called the pandemic early ... I have some neighbors who are Chinese and they told me how bad it was getting over there. So we went and got n95s when you could still get them at the big box stores and bought supplies including a handgun and a o2 machine. I remember driving up to the bank drive through window and getting $10k in cash out just for saf e keeping. We've basically been hunkered down ever since.
It's been a long strange trip man, how have you all been?
tl;dr: Got a Samsung Galaxy 8. Generally like it but dislike having to deal with both a Samsung layer and the Google layer - having just the Apple layer on the iPhone is nice. I didn't put any cool OS on it like I was talking about. The fingerprint reader works really well so I totally get why people use those.
Can you tell us a bit more about the website you run? I'm also curious to start trying to build something online to generate income over the next few years, and hearing others' experiences would be super useful!
Sure I'd love to. We provide continuing education to a field that is required to have it by law and are licensed by the state. There are many such industries that require such training as real estate, accounting, etc. Our site is focused on ease of use and working on mobile devices (which was more of a selling point when we started). It's WordPress on a LAMP stack with some custom PHP and a number of paid plugins. I'm pretty proud of it.
Sounds cool! What are your running costs like if you don't mind me asking?
Low, a hundred a month tops with most of that going to MailChimp. My advertising costs change depending on what we are doing but run between $100 to maybe a peak of a couple thousand, but you know ahead of time how much you're going to get back for each dollar spent there.
Many thanks for sharing!
How often did you browse Tildes without logging in, during that time? Or did you at all?
Not much to be honest. I did for awhile but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure I'm the right fit for the site and have been turned off many times and maybe rightfully so. It doesn't appear to have grown much which is unfortunate because I like the tech and idea behind it (or maybe im just not looking at things the right way). I do like that I am confident that the people I'm interacting with are doing so in good faith, which is nice.
Curious what on Tildes turns you off.
I’m in the growth camp as well, but it is tricky, because growth can (ironically) sink a website. I’m relatively confident because we have someone who has a lot of experience with Reddit (and all its pros and cons) at the helm, and the site is taking a slow and steady approach (versus Ruqqus and Saidit).
@Deimos, didn’t someone you know make a chart showing Tildes’ growth over time?
Edit: here’s the site: ts.bauke.xyz
Edit 2: Comment by Deimos on growth as of December 29, 2020
There is a seriousness here that in the past has made things not very fun for me. And that's totally ok. It's more like hacker news or something in what is expected of users and I have struggled to maintain that in the past. So like I said, I'm probably just not a good fit, but I wanted to drop a line to see if any of the ol gang is around, and seems like maybe not
@Bauke did. https://ts.bauke.xyz/
Thanks. I remember I’d asked this before, and I had a hunch Bauke was the right name.
What kind of handgun did you pick up?
Targus .357 with the shorter barrel and some hollow points
Strange that you got your own O2 machine, would you not expect to land in a hospital if your case of Corona was serious? I guess it is a nice precaution though.
My concern was hospitals running out of O2. Really I am/was most concerned with my young daughter who has moderate asthma so it was money well spent for piece of mind. You can't but then without an Rx but I found an old lady selling a used one online and bought it
Why did you decide not to get a phone with LineageOS (just an example of a non-mainstream OS)?
About the time I got the Samsung they dropped support for it (LegacyOS) and I was going to go ahead with loading the latest version but there were all these warnings about messing up the phone that I chickened out