It's no secret that social media is used by a large amount of people. The Pew Research Center has a social media fact sheet if you'd like to see the numbers.
- They claim that 72% of the American population uses some form of social media.
- In 2018 twitter reported 326 million active monthly users.
- Facebook posted record number profits last year.
- Reddit had 330 million users in 2018
- One of the most amazing parts of social media's rise is how quickly that it happened. As stated in the Pew Research article:
when Pew Research Center began tracking social media adoption in 2005, just 5% of American adults used at least one of these platforms. By 2011 that share had risen to half of all Americans
With no signs of slowing down, social media is certainly going to be part of our lives for the foreseeable future. What sort of impact do you think it has had upon our society? Has it connected the people of the world, or disconnected them? Do the positive aspects outweigh the negative? If you believe social media's impact has been negative, do you think it can be fixed? How do you see social media evolving?