My hard drives seem to almost always be cluttered messes, so I'm curious how other people handle file storage. Feel free to use any of these questions as prompts, too: Do you do backups? If so,...
My hard drives seem to almost always be cluttered messes, so I'm curious how other people handle file storage. Feel free to use any of these questions as prompts, too:
- Do you do backups? If so, how? (Cloud storage, offline backups, etc.)
- Do you use your OS's default user folders (Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Desktop, etc.) or do you opt for a more custom scheme?
- Do you use your browser's default download directory, or do you do something more custom?
- Do you navigate through your files using a file browser, the command line, or both?
- Do you have any naming conventions for files and folders? (Dash/underscore/space delimiting? Lower/uppercase?)
- Where do you store code repositories (if that's something you do), and do you make a distinction between code repositories and documents?
- How do you deal with programs that automatically create directories in your workspaces without your permission? (I'm looking at you, IDEs with "Projects" folders.)
- How do you handle media storage? Do you use any library managers for ebook/pdf files, image files, music files, video files, etc.?
- How do you handle document/note storage? Do you use files in the Documents folder, or do you use an alternative method like cloud-based office tools, or some sort of wiki-ish program like Indigrid or Trillium?
- If you use a Linux-based OS, where do you put sandboxed/portable applications (e.g. snap, flatpak, appimage)?