It can be for any reason: Perhaps the question leads toward some uncomfortable self-reflection (e.g. "Am I annoying?") Perhaps the question might make you appear foolish or uneducated to some...
It can be for any reason:
- Perhaps the question leads toward some uncomfortable self-reflection (e.g. "Am I annoying?")
- Perhaps the question might make you appear foolish or uneducated to some (e.g. "What is an IRA and why might I need one?")
- Perhaps the question might be seen as offensive or in bad taste (I don't think we need an example here)
- Perhaps the question itself is just outright uncomfortable due to its subject matter (e.g. "What is it like to get a colonoscopy?")
- Perhaps there's another reason I haven't covered here
Whatever the reason, this thread is your chance to ask any questions you want to, regardless of how you'll be viewed. It's also a chance to have those questions answered, should anyone be willing to do so.
With this in mind, there are some pretty important ground rules:
As a question asker, do EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER to frame your question favorably and show sincerity. Walking in with a one sentence bombshell question that's guaranteed to stoke fires is likely to get you tagged for malice. Better to explain your thinking and why you have that question in the first place so that people can know you're coming from a genuine place. The more effort you put into your post, the more people are likely to respond with effort in kind.
As a question answerer, do EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER to apply the principle of charity. The whole point of this thread is to draw out uncomfortable questions, so do your best to answer them a way that acknowledges that discomfort rather than heightening it. Also remember that even if the person asking the question isn't doing so in the best way, there are probably people in the audience with the same or similar questions. Write your responses with them in mind too.
As readers, do EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER to both vote on comments you feel are good contributions as well as flag any comments you feel are malicious or in bad faith.
I think we've got a lot of great people on the site, and I know there are probably a ton of uncomfortable questions lurking out there. I think this is a good chance for us to get some of them out into the open so that they can be addressed in thoughtful and illuminating ways.