acdw's recent activity

  1. Comment on My college students are not ok in ~life

    acdw
    Link Parent
    sadly, you're right. I keep thinking about The Second Coming... seems weirdly prescient

    sadly, you're right. I keep thinking about The Second Coming... seems weirdly prescient

    1 vote
  2. Comment on My college students are not ok in ~life

    acdw
    Link Parent
    I should have read this before my reply. you've said exactly what I was thinking, and far better.

    I should have read this before my reply. you've said exactly what I was thinking, and far better.

    2 votes
  3. Comment on My college students are not ok in ~life

    acdw
    Link Parent
    I think the reason why these are commonly blamed is simple: they're exactly the reasons behind our collective depression. however, no one is interested in fixing them.

    usual suspects that get blamed for most of modern society's ills: [...]

    I think the reason why these are commonly blamed is simple: they're exactly the reasons behind our collective depression. however, no one is interested in fixing them.

    1 vote
  4. Comment on Google logged my mother out of all devices and now she can't login in ~tech

    acdw
    Link Parent
    oh yeah I tried all the cookies deleted and everything. no idea, hadn't happened in a while tho

    oh yeah I tried all the cookies deleted and everything. no idea, hadn't happened in a while tho

    1 vote
  5. Comment on Google logged my mother out of all devices and now she can't login in ~tech

    acdw
    Link Parent
    I'm sure whatever's going on with me is somewhere in the vicinity of what you're talking about. I spose I could ask the IT guys ....

    I'm sure whatever's going on with me is somewhere in the vicinity of what you're talking about. I spose I could ask the IT guys ....

    1 vote
  6. Comment on Google logged my mother out of all devices and now she can't login in ~tech

    acdw
    Link
    I have no solutions, but I do have commiseration: I keep getting randomly logged out of my work Google account while I'm in the middle of using it, and I have no idea why. It makes 0 sense. I...

    I have no solutions, but I do have commiseration: I keep getting randomly logged out of my work Google account while I'm in the middle of using it, and I have no idea why. It makes 0 sense. I wonder if they're messing with their auth flow for some godforsaken reason.

    5 votes
  7. Comment on What did you do this weekend? in ~talk

    acdw
    Link Parent
    Haha, nope on both counts :) I have a cattledog mix but she's not the one who fell --- Stella is a terrier-maybe hound mix? My wife wants to have them DNA tested b/c we have no idea lol. My user...

    Haha, nope on both counts :) I have a cattledog mix but she's not the one who fell --- Stella is a terrier-maybe hound mix? My wife wants to have them DNA tested b/c we have no idea lol.

    My user name is sort-of my initials :D

    2 votes
  8. Comment on PSA: Venmo just changed its terms, now including a more draconian arbitration requirement, requiring opt out by 6/22/22 in ~finance

    acdw
    Link
    Thanks for this! I got this email the other day and thought, "I need to do this," but didn't go through all the steps. I'm so glad that you did!

    Thanks for this! I got this email the other day and thought, "I need to do this," but didn't go through all the steps. I'm so glad that you did!

    1 vote
  9. Comment on Pets! in ~talk

  10. Comment on What did you do this weekend? in ~talk

    acdw
    Link Parent
    Partner-late-night-karaoke is the best, I'm glad yall had a good time! I think my partner and I are a little overdue for one :)

    Partner-late-night-karaoke is the best, I'm glad yall had a good time! I think my partner and I are a little overdue for one :)

    3 votes
  11. Comment on What did you do this weekend? in ~talk

    acdw
    Link
    I went on a big hike and sprained my ankle really good. So I'm propping up my leg and hobbling around on crutches and a boot. The funny thing is, my dog actually fell off a dang cliff (2 storeys...

    I went on a big hike and sprained my ankle really good. So I'm propping up my leg and hobbling around on crutches and a boot.

    The funny thing is, my dog actually fell off a dang cliff (2 storeys or so) and she's doing just fine. I just slipped and fell maybe 3 feet and I'm the one with a debilitating injury, lol.

    5 votes
  12. Comment on What did you do this weekend? in ~talk

    acdw
    Link
    I rode in the Spanish Town Parade on Saturday; it was a great time. I got quite drunk, lol.

    I rode in the Spanish Town Parade on Saturday; it was a great time. I got quite drunk, lol.

    4 votes
  13. RSS feed improvements

    hey tilders, so I mostly read tildes.net content through my RSS reader, and it's 98% great. the remaining 2% is due to two things: HTML entities (fancy quotes, etc) don't degrade nicely; I get a...

    hey tilders,

    so I mostly read tildes.net content through my RSS reader, and it's 98% great. the remaining 2% is due to two things:

    • HTML entities (fancy quotes, etc) don't degrade nicely; I get a lot of &#xxx; in my feed reader - Edited topics (I think) get posted twice to the RSS feed, giving me duplicate items.

    I don't know how hard it might be to fix these issues, but is there anything I can do to help?

    7 votes
  14. Comment on Five books I loved reading this year in ~books

    acdw
    Link
    My mom bought me Hamnet and it's quite good. it's ruminative, a kind of study of the impact grief has on a family. honestly Anne is much more the main character than Will, and her treatment is...

    My mom bought me Hamnet and it's quite good. it's ruminative, a kind of study of the impact grief has on a family. honestly Anne is much more the main character than Will, and her treatment is very good

    3 votes
  15. Comment on Cowboy Bebop - Lost Session Teaser (Netflix) in ~anime

    acdw
    Link Parent
    Oh I've started watching it again!!! So good :D

    Oh I've started watching it again!!! So good :D

    1 vote
  16. Comment on Spooky books or short stories? in ~books

    acdw
    Link
    Obviously, you've got to go with the classic -- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! It's so fun ! Also, I've been looking for this story since I read it in middle school but I don't remember what...

    Obviously, you've got to go with the classic -- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark! It's so fun !

    Also, I've been looking for this story since I read it in middle school but I don't remember what it's called. It's about this scientist who found a way to fully control his nervous system and the whole story turns out (spoiler alert) that he's been a disembodied head trying to get back to his body, and then the story ends with him sewing his own head back on to seek revenge. So spooky!

    2 votes
  17. Comment on Cowboy Bebop - Lost Session Teaser (Netflix) in ~anime

    acdw
    Link Parent
    Same, I think -- I need to rewatch the anime now! To ... prepare.

    Same, I think -- I need to rewatch the anime now! To ... prepare.

    4 votes
  18. Comment on Viking blood bread in ~food

    acdw
    Link Parent
    Hell yes! And Max Miller is just a treat :)

    Hell yes! And Max Miller is just a treat :)

    1 vote
  19. Comment on Viking blood bread in ~food

    acdw
    Link
    Heyyy I watched this just yesterday! Really like Tasting History, it's such a fun channel :)

    Heyyy I watched this just yesterday! Really like Tasting History, it's such a fun channel :)

    1 vote
  20. Comment on Tech workers rebel against a lame-ass Internet by bringing back ‘GeoCities-style’ WebRings in ~tech

    acdw
    Link
    I wrote one o them webring things in python one time: nethoop. On my site .. of course, nobody's wanted to be added for quite some time.

    I wrote one o them webring things in python one time: nethoop. On my site .. of course, nobody's wanted to be added for quite some time.

    4 votes