So, I'm planning on building yet another browser (based on Firefox, since we already have too much Chromium forks around)
I'm intending to target the people worried about their privacy, but aren't technical enough to dabble with about:config tweaks and deal with any site breakages.
So, for this project, I'm planning on doing the following modifications to Firefox:
- Tweaked by default to get a balance between increased privacy, and less site breakage
- Tweaks include cutting any "background" communication with Mozilla (while I trust them, some people might not) and Google (safe browsing, geolocation)
- Maybe, possibly, an "advanced privacy settings" menu for more privacy settings in exchange for site breakage?
- Integrated ad blocker (Decided on uBlock Origin, maybe adding Nano Defender to bypass any nag screens)
- Maybe a way to "pretend" to be a Chromium browser, since some sites require that nowadays (More user agent complexity, yay!)
So, this is where this thread comes in. What would you guys want in a (Gecko-based) browser, that I can provide?
I am definitely not planning any substantial under-the-hood changes, since that would
a) make maintaining it a pain
b) be way out of my skill level.
I am only looking for stuff that can be applied with some simple source code patches, or an integrated extension, as I will not "fork" the entire FF source. This project is essentially a rebranded patchset. (Also allows for faster updates!)
ps: Please be realistic, and remember that this is a one man thing. I can not make any substantial changes, like bringing XUL add-ons back, if you know what those are.
pps: If you can, and are willing to help with anything, let me know and I'll put up a repo online :)
ppps: Please let me know if I've made a mistake while creating this topic.