This is a scenario question similar to the "You are stranded on a deserted island, what do you bring?" question. The following guidelines I offer stem from my planning and experiences, I begin my 4 months shortly.
- There is no electricity, no running water, no plumbing, no cell phone service nor internet service.
- US Postal Service is available.
- It is about 45 minutes away from the nearest town and is located on United States Forest Service owned land.
- You will be sharing the cabin with several other like-minded people that you've never met before in a roommate dynamic.
- The accommodations are free through the program.
- This program runs a 9 days on, 5 days off work schedule. For the 9 days on, you will be camping along trails you are maintaining and not be at the cabin.
- Basic food storage (coolers), a solar shower, washboards and tables will be provided.
What do you bring? For functionality? To maintain comfort and/or sanity? Entertainment purposes? Keep in mind the point of this experience is to remove yourself from the grid, expose yourself to the rawness of nature and the elements. While it's tempting to say you'd bring a $10k solar/battery array, download all the things, and just host 5 day binge watching sessions with the bears, that's not the purpose. ;)