I can think of several good reasons why protesting is a really bad idea right now:
- The virus doesn't care if your cause is just.
- If you end up going to jail, that's another hotspot.
- It provides cover for violence.
- The courts are going to do whatever they do at their own pace anyway.
- The long-term work of police reform isn't even going to begin until the crisis is over.
And yet, despite all these good reasons, I don't see leaders, black or otherwise, clearly saying that people should stay home. For example, Obama's statement is carefully neutral on this. It seems to be taboo?
But I'm out of touch. What am I missing?