The Apple Keynote is on September 10th, at 10am Pacific Daylight Time (daylight savings is in effect). I'm making this thread as a place to discuss the announcements here on ~tech. TIme: 10:00am...
The Apple Keynote is on September 10th, at 10am Pacific Daylight Time (daylight savings is in effect). I'm making this thread as a place to discuss the announcements here on ~tech.
- 10:00am PDT (California / Apple time)
- 5:00pm GMT (Greenwich time)
- Apple's website stream -- requires a browser that supports both HLS and HEVC (safari and edge)
- Apple's Youtube stream -- first time Apple is streaming on youtube. Should work anywhere that Youtube works :) They'll probably break the stream record.
Tl;Dr of actual announcements (updating right now)
- Apple Arcade announced
- $4.99 / month and one month free.
- 100 indie exclusives on launch
- Apple TV+ announced
- $4.99 / month, launching November 1
- New originals every month! 100 countries at launch
- Including 1 year free with device (iPhone, iPad, or mac) purchases starting today.
- New base model iPad
- 10.2 inch display, Runs A10 Fusion chip, (optional) smart keyboard
- New iPad is made from 100% recycled aluminum (like the new MacBook air)
- Starts at $399 (competing with chrome books). $299 for education customers.
- includes Apple Pencil support
- Apple Watch Series 5!!!!
- Health and Fitness video
- 3 New health studies!!!
- Apple Hearing Study
- Apple Women's Health Study (How cycles affect various health conditions)
- Apple Heart Study
- Enrollment is voluntary. OPT-IN by downloading the app and getting enrolled.
- Apple Watch Series 5
- ALWAYS ON LTPO OLED display, with Dynamic Refresh Rate (1Hz - 60Hz VRR)
- Same 18 hour battery life
- International Emergency Calling on all cellular models
- 100% recycled aluminum.
- Stainless Steel, Titanium, Ceramic
- Series 3 watch starts at $199, Series 5 starts at $499
- iPhone 11!
- Aluminum and Glass, comes in a bunch of colors
- Spatial audio + Dolby Atmos for next level smartphone sound
- New Camera -- 120º FOV Wide angle camera, 12MP with 100% Focus Pixels
- 0.5x Optical Zoom out :)
- New Image processing pipelines, with semantic rendering and adaptive tone mapping
- Portrait mode improvements (wider portraits, and more) (yay, now for pets!)
- Night Mode has adaptive image slicing and fusion for reducing blur in long exposure.
- 4K HDR video at 60fps (was previously 30fps!)
- Front Camera is now 12MP wide angle
- 4K 30fps HDR video, Slowmotion Video for front facing camera! :)
- A13 Bionic processor
- fastest GPU and CPU ever in a smartphone
- Game demo showing off Metal 2 Shaders, Bloom, and AA in realtime at 60fps
- Battery is now 1 hr longer than the previous XR
- U1 Chip? (on slide, not mentioned)
- Wifi 6 support!
- 2m water resistance for 30 minutes
- 6.1 inch Liquid Retina display
- Priced sanely at $699
- iPhone 11 Pro
- 3 camera array
- Matte Textured Glass
- Super Retina XDR Display.
- 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio
- 1200 nits of brightness
- 426 ppi
- Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos
- A13 Bionic Chip Design
- Machine Learning Matrix Multiplier Accelerators make matrix operations 6x faster on iPhone
- Best ML platform of any Smartphone
- Lower power design using 7nm+ lithography
- 8.5 Billion Transistors
- 4 High Efficiency CPU cores
- Hundreds of Voltage domains and clock domains
- Each region of the chip is at least 20% faster, and uses at least 20% less power
- 3 camera system
- 4x zoom range (0.5 to 2x)
- 53-13mm focal lengths, and f1.8 to f2.4
- Deep Fusion camera system - stitches together burst photos + long exposure to maximize detail and reduce noise.
- Filmic Pro demo -- allowing multiple camera use at the same time.
- iPhone 11 Pro at $999, Pro Max at $1099
- iPhone 11 at $699 and XR at $599 and iPhone 8 at $499 to complete the lineup.
- Apple Store Updates
- Apple Watch Studio - pair any watch with any band of your choice. Configure as you want
- iPhone trade ins can now be used for a lower monthly rate if you buy an iPhone, rather than simply taking off the purchase price.
- 5th Ave Store is being redesigned and re-opening Sept 20th!
Other miscellaneous / fun stuff
- Apple Keynote Bingo Card -- 5 in a row to win! :)
- Upgrade Podcast Draft Card -- the hosts have predicted what they should see at the event. Person with the most points wins.
- fixed part about browsers with HLS support, and added a table showing compatible browsers.
- remved "what we're expecting" section, and started updating the event live feed.
@schukin: How iOS 13 FaceTime Attention Correction works: it simply uses ARKit to grab a depth map/position of your face, and adjusts the eyes accordingly. Notice the warping of the line across both the eyes and nose. https://t.co/U7PMa4oNGN24 votes