@deimos has expressed before his dislike for alt-accounts, a position I happen to share. Alt-accounts makes users less accountable and more prone to misbehavior.
At the same time, deeply personal threads frequently require anonymity to be of any value.
To avoid alt-accounts altogether, I propose an anonymity with caveats:
- Only accounts older than 60 days can comment and create threads anonymously.
- Mods and admins can take action against the account that posted anonymously just like with any account
- For the most part, the identity of the poster will remain a secret even from mods and admins.
For practical reasons, in the case of banning a user from the entire website, the identity of the user would have to be revealed to the admin that banned him/her. But that will only happen after the action is taken.This seems like a bad idea.
EDIT: PLUS FEATURES
- The creator of the thread must tick a box to allow anonymous posts (they are opt-in).
- Moderators and admins have the power of disabling this permission if deemed necessary.